(C) Reuters. Singapore’s ‘Immediate Task’ Is to Shore Up Tourism, Chan Says
(Bloomberg) — Singapore’s “most immediate task” is to bolster the tourism sector amid a global coronavirus outbreak, Trade & Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing said.
The government will support the upgrade of hotels and attractions, a “strong pipeline” of leisure and business events, and step up tourism marketing, Chan said in prepared remarks for delivery Tuesday in parliament.
Other highlights of the speech:
- Singapore must plan for long-term changes, including re-ordering of supply chains and technological advances, in order to “emerge stronger” from virus effects
- “The ensuing contest to attract top investments will be intense” as developing countries with land and labor slash costs and developed nations build smart cities to rival Singapore
- Singapore should upgrade and expand on its 25 free-trade agreements and hopes to sign the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership this year; trade negotiations also ongoing with Latin American blocs and Eurasian Economic Union
- Talks with Australia on digital economy agreement “progressing well”; similar negotiations with Chile and New Zealand have “substantially concluded”
- Government will “significantly strengthen” support for firms that want to internationalize business, including by extending a double tax deduction scheme for another five years through 2025, and by providing assistance for local graduates to work in Southeast Asia, China, or India
- Workers in their 40s and 50s to get extra support as the government boosts re-skilling measures and targets annual job placements of 5,500 for locals in that age group by 2025; eligible firms will get a one-time S$10,000 ($7,186) payment to cover as much as 90% of expenses related to such workforce transformation programs
Singapore’s ‘Immediate Task’ Is to Shore Up Tourism, Chan Says
Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.